Friday, October 10, 2014

Eid Holiday

There are many interesting things about living in a different country, but some of the most fascinating things about Bangladesh are the Religious Holidays. This year the Muslim holy day of Eid Mubarak and the Hindu holy festival of Punja were on the same weekend. I was able to travel down to Khulna with my friend Leslie to visit Alpha for the holiday week.
Alpha, Emily and Leslie

Punja is the celebration of the ten armed goddess returning home with her children. There were large tents with the statutes of the goddess and her children everywhere. It was actually very pretty with all the lights and bright colors. There were fairs with many different kinds of vendors. I was able to try a few new sweets, like fresh coconut with sugar that tasted exactly like Frosted Flakes. I also went on a very sketchy ferries wheel of sorts. I most definitely was terrified the whole time. You can check out the video of that adventure on my Vlog.
Hindus Worshiping during Punja
Alpha, Leslie and I at Punja
The Entrance to Punja
Trumpet Player at Punja

 Eid Mubarak is the Muslim holy time where they sacrifice bull cows and goat to Allah. It is an intense time and definitely not for the squeamish. On Eid there are cows being 'cut' (killed) every few yards. I decided to stay home that morning since I had been in Bangladesh for Eid a few years back, but it was new for Laslie and so Alpha took her out to see the event. Young and old watch the sacrificing. Here are some of her more tame pictures.
A young boy watching a Cow be cut
Children gathered around a cow
A massive bull 
Every Eid it is tradition to wear a Sari so Leslie and I followed this tradition. We were invited over to a Muslim's family's house for the traditional Eid dinner. It was a wonderful time and the family was very nice, we had a lot of laughs.
Looking stunning in our Eid saris with Anjoly (Alpha's Mom) 



Leslie and I at dinner
Alpha and I 

Appitizers






The trip was wonderful, I wish I could have stayed longer. Here are some more pictures of the things we did and experienced over the holiday.

We found a Crab
Leslie and I on the bus to Khulna

Tea with the Pastor's wife
Playing with Pastor's niece

Going to a Cha Stall (having street tea)


My hair looking very red

well.... this is Bangladesh
Alpha and Emily


No comments:

Post a Comment