Saturday, August 9, 2014

Welcome To Bangladesh!

Welcome to Bangladesh!

I have arrived in the hectic city of Dhaka, after nearly 28 hours of travel. This is where I will spend my foreseeable future teaching Year 1 at Grace International School. The staff is really lovely and I have two fantastic roommates, Lauren, from Colorado and Samantha (Sam) from South Africa. (Pictures to come soon!)

I have spent the last three days meeting a ton of new people, seeing and organizing my classroom and, of course, the never ending lesson planning for the coming year. School starts tomorrow!! I cannot believe it, I do not feel at all ready, but at least my first week is planned and I really am so excited to meet my students.

It is very different living in this
area of Bangladesh with the most foreigners. In Khulna, where I was in the past, I was usually the only foreigner around. But here I can go out shopping or walk the streets with minimal stares. It is actually quite nice and I have been able to enjoy a Rickshaw (pictured below) ride between our school campuses.

My apartment is wonderful, we are on the third floor of a 6 floor building, in the DOHS (Department of Officers Housing) area of Baridara, Dhaka. It is quiet for the most part and tightly packed with buildings, as is most of Dhaka. We have four bedrooms for the three of us, a kitchen and large living area/dinning room, air conditioning and a balcony. I think it is lovely and am so happy to have a place to call my own. Niva is our Bangladeshi Aya (house helper) and she is the sweetest thing! I look forward to spending more time with her and getting to know her more.

Niva was a life saver when I arrived as one of my duffle bags had been left out in the rain at the airport and was completely soaked through! She immediately took my soaking clothes to the roof and hung them out to dry. And then 20 minutes later she took them down because it started to rain. So Niva and I got to know each other really well within a short time.

I will be posting a video of my apartment and classroom to my YouTube Vlog soon...ish, so be sure to check back for that.

Many Blessings to All,
Emily
Flying Above Bangladesh, The Land of Rivers

Rickshaw



No comments:

Post a Comment