Thursday, January 11, 2018

Why Do Missionaries Cost So Much!

In high school, when a teenager is trying to figure out their life, who they are and what they want to be, I said I did not want to be a missionary. I wanted to teach internationally or work for an embassy because I new I wanted to live overseas, but I did NOT want to raise my money, I wanted to be paid.

How selfish and untrusting of me. By saying this I was not willing to let God control my life, I wanted to be in charge! But God has a funny way of changing our hearts and showing us the joys of relying on Him. I could have married a mid- west lawyer and live in suburbia with a white picket fence, maybe a horse or two. I could have studied International Relations and gone on to work for an Embassy. But I didn't. Because God said no.

God took my fear of raising money and showed me that He is bigger then fear and He is bigger then money and it all belongs to Him anyway, so why was I living in fear?

I wish it didn't cost so much for Alpha and I to be missionaries. I wish I did not have to ask people directly to support us. I wish my update letters and Facebook posts did not have to track our progress or ask for more supports. It is humbling, sometimes humiliating. But God does not want us to do it on our own. Ephesians 2:8-9 says "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast."

It is a gift from God that we get raise support, so that those who cannot go can still be a partner with us in reaching others for Christ. It is a gift from God that we can rely on Him and not our own strength, because we would never be able to do it on our own.

If you are interested in reading an article that answers questions "why missionaries cost so much" or why we ask for so many supporters please read it here: http://reachingandteaching.org/2016/02/missionaries-cost-much.html


1 comment: